Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

______________

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Simple Superfood Soup for the Soul.


I absolutely love soup, but I'm disgustingly picky about where it comes from.

No cans, no soggy noodles or rice fillers, no unnecessary sodium, no preservatives, and hold the rest of the sh*tty ingredients...please and thank you.

Whole Foods was even getting lame for awhile because their freshly made soups without dairy or meat were limited and they kept running out of the overpriced raw soups in a bag in the refrigerated section - for what reason they were flying off the shelves I don't know, because the beet gazpacho sucked.

Anyway, fed up and clearly hangry, I decided to drag myself into the kitchen and make some awesome soup for myself.

I was delighted to find it A. super freaking easy, and B. ridiculously cheap.

But then again, anything was cheaper than the $11.99 8-oz pouch of raw vegetable guts.

I then experimented with thousands of soup recipes, I was seriously addicted to my new soup making hobby. I didn't even care that it was 80 degrees outside, I was effing stoked.

Don't worry, I'll share lots of them with you, but one of my favorites is a really simple yellow squash and avocado soup. It's (somewhat) satisfying and the flavor is super tasty. I tried out this recipe when I didn't have any onions or garlic in the house - flavor staples for a decent soup - and was surprised that it actually tasted incredible.

Oh, and it's incredibly balanced if you're into ayurveda.

Here's my simple superfood soup for the soul...

Yellow Squash and Avocado Soup

Yellow Squash and Avocado Soup

Ingredients:

1 yellow squash
1 small zucchini
1 yellow pepper
1 avocado
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tbs raw hempseeds
A twist or two of ground Pink Himalayan salt 

Directions:

1. Pour the vegetable stock into a pot on the stove and turn up the burner to a saucy medium heat.

2. While your stock enjoys a nice jacuzzi, chop up your squash and zucchini in large chunks with the (washed and organic) skin on. The chunks should be too thick to want to dip into a really yummy hummus, but smaller than an annoyingly big piece of awkward sushi. 

3. Chuck your chunks into the pot of stock and cover with a lid. Let it simmer and steam for only a couple of minutes while you half and pit an avocado. While you're at it, half and core your yellow pepper. Do not toss this into the pot unless you suck at following directions and already did. No one will notice, but the raw yellow pepper gives the soup a nice crunch and the raw enzymes don't hurt either.

4. Turn off the stove and get out your Vitamix or blender of choice. A food processor works too, but I honestly don't understand why anyone still uses those...they're such an effing pain to take apart and clean...but that's just me.

5. Carefully (sh*its still hot and steam loves to travel to the delicate skin of inner wrists) pour the contents of your pot into your blending appliance and throw in half of the avocado and half of the yellow pepper.

6. Blend it, baby. But, not too much...you don't want actual baby food consistency. 

7. Pay attention to your soup when you take the lid off your blender, not because anything is alive and is going to go flying (hopefully), but because a super cool steam is going to transcend from your brew and it looks pretty rad.

8. Pour your soup into a bowl and top with some of the remaining avocado and yellow pepper - slice it into strips and get all artsy with it, this is the key step to making your simple soup sit pretty.

9. For added effect, and a little plant based protein, sprinkle some raw hempseeds on top. I also like a quick twist of ground Pink Himalayan salt for flavor.

10. Dig in while it's hot or refrigerate for a chilled summer soup.

Servings:

This simple superfood soup recipe serves up enough for two souls...but you'll probably want a sandwich in an hour. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlighted Words