Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

______________

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Blog Snagged; Nut Butter Truffles, I Dig.


So I recently chopped off my hair again. And when I say recently, I mean like a day ago. This time, my locks (or lack thereof) coming up higher on my neck than a lot of the guys I've dated with manbuns. Liberating, I know.

For some reason, having short hair allows me to think clearer, be more direct in my communications, and feel freer in my physical body. Sh*ts dope. Don't be terrified of shedding the initial energy trapped in your hair, it will grow back, Mother Nature's promise.

Speaking of directness, I woke up this morning wanting one specific thing for breakfast. Most specifically, a side to my black coffee. 

I woke up craving these orgasmic nut butter truffles I saw posted on the Free People Blog (a resource for everything great and more) the other day. They're 1. easy, 2. paleo, 3. vegan, 4. gluten free, and 5. totally indulgent. Right up anyones' alley.

I made the Sunflower-Cinnamon truffles this morning because I love cinnamon and I felt like sunflowers were a really beautiful way to start the morning, but next time I do this I think I'll attempt to make all three for an assortment and package extras up for loved ones.


Here's the breakdown...

1. Ya start with a base. That's right, a base, no treble. Cringe.

Base: 1/3 cup nut or seed butter (almond, cashew, sunflower, etc.) combined with 1/4 cup coconut butter. Mix butters in a bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds, stirring again after to make sure both butters are melted together in a lovely buttery marriage.

2. Toast your toppings (choose from below, #3 options).

Toast: Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread nuts or coconut out on the parchment and toast for 5 to 10 minutes, shaking it up often so your crunch doesn't burn.

3. Now for the fun...three balls of lust to choose from.


Coco-Hazelnut: 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 1-2 tbsp cacao or coco powder, 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts.

Combine vanilla and cacao with the nut butter blend and mix thoroughly. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool until hardened. Remove the blend from the fridge and scoop out by the teaspoon, rolling each scoop quickly into a ball. These tend to melt easily with the warmth of your hands, so it's important to work fast. Roll each ball in toasted hazelnuts and refrigerate until ready to serve.


Coconut-Almond: 1 tsp pure almond extract, 1/4 cup almond silvers, 1/2 cup finely-shredded unsweetened toasted coconut.

Mix the almond extract and almond slivers together with the nut butter blend. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool until hardened. Remove the mix from the fridge and scoop out by the teaspoon, rolling each scoop quickly into a ball. Roll each ball in the toasted coconut and refrigerate until ready to serve.


Sunflower-Cinnamon: 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds.

Mix the vanilla and cinnamon together with the nut butter blend. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool until hardened. Remove the mix from the fridge and scoop out by the teaspoon, rolling each scoop quickly into a ball. Roll each ball in the sunflower seeds and refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlighted Words