"My Love" - Route 94, Jess Glynne
Do you ever have one of those mornings where you wake up rested and with energy, not feeling like you need something that's more than coffee but less than cocaine? You sprawl out in your bed, toes tangling off the edge, and stretch in a way that makes you never want to share your bed with anyone else again. There's a strong beat blasting in your head (or out of your Bose speakers) and you are f*cking convinced that you're starring in an epic movie of your life.
Those mornings are golden, and there's no reason why they shouldn't happen every day.
Here are 10 Tricks to Waking Up Golden Every Morning:
1. Stop after 2, unless it's celebratory. There's no reason why you should be binging on Dom if you've had a bad day or worse, a bad date. You're doing Dom Perignon all wrong if you're tasting the stars out of pure spite. Stop being a lush and give yourself a two drink maximum.
2. Neutrogena that sh*t off. Girls that go to bed with their make-up on positively baffle me. It's self-destructive behavior to your pores and to your Egyptian cotton bed sheets. If you don't have time to Clarisonic, at least take a make-up wipe to your face - it takes .2 seconds and you can totally do it in the dark.
3. Take your hair down. I totally get the messy bun religion, I worship with a top knot in between the temples too. However, smashing your head against a pillow and rolling your head like you're the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs) performing at Coachella is only going to give you split ends and bad breaks. Let your locks run free. Tangles are better than damaged casualties.
4. Keep your phone far away. There's no need to leave your phone underneath your pillow like you're waiting for the iMessage Fairy to show up and leave you a fat stack of cash for the number of drunk texts received. The only text messages I receive after bedtime are texts from exes and texts from my dear insomniac mother who is reading my horoscope for the next day or googling Ebola outbreaks, all of which can wait until morning.
5. Turn your ceiling fan down a notch. I know, I love laying in bed with a sweatshirt on all huddled up in my duvet like I'm an Eskimo staring straight into a massive ice storm. However, this is super drying to your eyeballs. Avoid waking up the next morning like a dried up mummy on display at The Met by turning that rotating orb down a purr.
6. No binging on Netflix before bed. As much as I love watching a dramatic series years after it was relevant (cough cough, Grey's Anatomy, all 10 seasons last month, betch), for the sake of my beauty I had to ween myself off the Netflix nip. During my Californication phase I would seriously stay up all night wondering if Hank and Karen would have sex again. Um, duh. Watch a show or two of whatever series has you hooked, early enough before bed, and then separate yourself. Don't worry, you'll get back together, just like Carrie and Big did in SATC, no sense in losing precious sleep over it.
7. Have a cup of tea. I drink tea upon rising, throughout the day, and before bed. I fully believe that tea is the ultimate remedy; for more energy, for clarity of mind, for stuffy noses, for sore throats, for plumper lips...just kidding on that last one, but that would be badass. Teavana is like the holy grail of herbs. Sidenote, have you tried their new seasonal blends? S'mores, white chocolate peppermint, pumpkin spice and pure effing amazingness, gotta check it out. Anyway, point being, relax with a cup of tea before bed, get your body and mind ready for sleep.
8. Recognize something(s) you're grateful for. Whether it's the fact that you're getting killer triceps from all those chaturangas you've been doing in yoga, your favorite singer moved on in the "knock out rounds" of The Voice, you ate super healthy all day long and didn't blow it by eating the entire pack of vegan Newman-O's creepin' in your cupboard, or something more meaningful, of course. End your day with gratitude.
9. Think about something(s) you're looking forward to in the morning. Maybe it's the hot tattooed barista who makes your skinny almond milk latte just right, a caramelized half a grapefruit you've perfected, or a really warm vintage Chloé sweater you can finally wear now that it feels like fall outside. It's the little things, think of them, be excited to wake up for them.
10. Never f*cking go to bed with socks on your feet. Ever.