Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

______________

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My Morning (Un) Routine; How I Became An Accidental Type 'A' Meal Prepper.


Routine is the death of me.

My body physically refuses to comply and my mind has already left the building. Just the very thought of a routine makes me shake and develop hives and my feet swell so much that they can't even be shoved in a pair of Louboutins two European sizes too large.

I kid, I kid. But...seriously.

Routine sucks. At least for those with a routinephobia like myself. Some of you brilliantly obsessively controlling type 'A' friends and family of mine have routine down to a capital T. Which is so cool and admirable. But, I just don't dig it.

If you're under the impression that those without a routine never get up in the morning, you're wrong.

On Mondays, I rise and shine at 5 am for a hot yoga class so I have enough time to shower and green juice it out in my kitchen before I have to head into work at the office by 7:30 am.

Sometimes though (often times, speaking after a night that a bottle of wine was opened and shared), I sleep in until 7:30 am, leave the house at 7:45 am, get to Starbucks just in time for a grande iced Kenya coffee, no room, and hurry into the office by 8 am with an obscenely messy bun and only a pout of lip stain.


Yesterday morning however, I made a change. A completely un-routine change. A change for the better. I accidentally decided to make a huge batch of steel cut oats. For the record, "accidentally decided" is code for "measured incorrectly because my coffee wasn't ready yet."

This accidental decision turned out to be four one-cup servings of steel cut oats, which took forever to make. Literally forever. It took so long, that while my steel cut oats were cooking on the stove, I made a 6-ingredient green juice, drank my coffee and refilled my mug, went through the first 8 songs on Lorde's album, and bathed Jack in the sink. Jack is my sister's little toy fox terror, btw...I mean, terrier.

Needless to say, by the time my oats were ready, I was totally over them. So, I put them into four little tupperware containers because I couldn't find one big enough to fit the entire batch and then it dawned on me. I totally became a type 'a' meal prepper by accident! I just put together four individual servings of steel cut oats for the rest of the week. And how lucky did I get seeing that Monday was a holiday, I have exactly four days of the week left to eat my oats. Holy smokes.


Since I was on a roll, I put together four tiny Ziploc bags full of a variation of toppings to mix in.

Day 1: 1 tbs chia seeds, 1 tbs ground flax seed, 1 tsp cinnamon, and tossed in some dried goji berries and crispy dehydrated coconut flakes.

Day 2: 1 tbs maca, 1 tbs raw cacao nibs, and tossed in some dried dark cherries.

Day 3: 1 tbs ground flax seed, 1 tsp cinnamon, and tossed in some dried apple, slivered almonds and a packet of raw local honey that I found floating around in the napkin drawer.

Day 4: 1 tbs raw cacao nibs, 2 meijool dates (pitted), and tossed in a few chopped walnuts.

I'm so type 'a' right now. I can't even. Maybe next week I'll make another accidental decision and prep lattes for the entire week, complete with little containers of various nut milks and stir-ins. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlighted Words