Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

______________

Monday, August 4, 2014

Taste the Leather; Vegan Fruit Leather.


I don't know what got into me, but yesterday morning my palette woke up on 5-year-old Lisa's side of the bed. I threw kale into the wind and didn't hold up my Vitamix to catch it. Rise and shine.

Throughout the course of the day I consumed a Strawberry Shortcake Bar, a grilled cheese sandwich and french fries, and a Confetti Cupcake. Ok, ok, I had two margaritas in addition to that, but I am just as shocked to report as you are to hear, that they did not influence the food choices 5-year-old Lisa made.


Waking up this morning though, I was determined to get back on the plant-filled wagon. While drinking my morning tea tonic and looking through my raw cookbooks for breakfast inspiration, I came across the coolest recipe for fruit leather

Little Lisa was still clearly present, incase you're wondering. 

Unfortunately, this word-full of a recipe called for a thousand weird superfoods that even I hadn't ever heard of. Organic binders and rising herbs...betch, please, ain't nobody got time for that. Especially not at 6:00 am.

An hour later in the office, with fruit leather still on my mind, I searched high and low for a super easy fruit leather recipe. Seek and you shall find, dear readers. Moral of the story.

This recipe I found is as organic as you make it and has two ingredients, one of which is calorie-free water.

It's all about the preparation, and thanks to brilliant blogger HonestlyYUM, this recipe is honestly as simple as it gets.

Check it...


Ingredients: 5 lbs of *stone fruit, 1/2 cup of water.

*Stone fruit is a fruit with flesh or pulp enclosing a stone (a pit).

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
2. Wash fruit and cut in halves.


3. Place fruit into a large pot and cook over medium-low heat until fruit has completely broken down. Stir occasionally.
4. Allow to cool before blending in a food processor or blender.


5. Pour fruit mixture over a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and spread until 1/2" thick.
6. Bake for 5-6 hours or until the fruit is not tacky to the touch.


7. Carefully peel away from liner and cut into 2" strips.
8. Store in an airtight container (or disclaimer, these strips will break your teeth) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlighted Words