Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

______________

Saturday, June 9, 2012

San Diego Polo Club, Opening Day 2012!

 
It's that time of year again, the San Diego Polo Club will be celebrating the Opening Day of their season this Sunday, June 10th! Gates open at 12:30 pm and the first match starts at 1:00 pm.

I always look forward to Opening Day because not only is it a fabulous time, but it officially marks the start of a Del Mar summer for me - bring on the days of lounging poolside at The Grand Del Mar, hanging out where the turf meets the surf at the Del Mar Racetrack, enjoying drinks at the Del Mar Plaza during an 8 pm sunset (I can fit in that Pilates class and still make it in time for a skinny cocktail!), endless Torrey Pines hikes followed by a tasty Sunday brunch at Burlap, The Poseidon, or Davanti Enoteca to name a few, and not to mention...my birthday!

The second reason why I look forward to Opening Day is a no-brainer - the style, darling! I wish San Diego dressed up like this every day out of the year because you attendees look good.

I can't tell you what I'll be dressed in yet, because A.) it's a surprise, and B.) I haven't decided yet - but if you plan on attending Opening Day on Sunday, be sure to look out for me and come say hi. I'd love to see your stylish outfit and share a bottle of champagne.

If you're not planning on attending, you know I'll report back with the fabulously dressed from Sunday's Opening Day like I did last year in my post, San Diego Polo Club's Opening Day!

Before I go sift through my wardrobe or perhaps the racks at Neimans, let me leave you with a few tips to keep it check when picking out your attire for Opening Day...

1. Wedges, ladies. You absolutely must participate in the Korbel California Champagne Divot Stomp and doing so in your stilettos puts you at an immediate disadvantage! Assess your personal level of technique when walking on grass in heels. If you're like me, you'll do yourself a favor by going with the wedges...I prefer my heels above the ground, rather than 5 inches below the dirt.


2. Sunglasses are a must. You're outside, it's bright, your eyes will start tearing, your beautiful lashes will get begin to clump, and your flawless make up will start to run down your beautiful face. Avoid this completely by bringing a fun pair of shades, even if you will be sitting under the tent (you're still staring into the brightness).


3. Think about bringing along a shawl or wrap to at least place at your table. No, it won't be cold at noon, but it very well might start to cool off after 3:00 pm. You don't want to be shivering, so do yourself a favor and at least bring a little something to cover your shoulders up with just in case. Last year I didn't and I was uncomfortably cold towards the end of the match. The winds pick up near the polo field - and it's not a hot wind, this is Del Mar - so just keep that in mind. Learn by my mistake.


4. Unlike the races, this is an event that it a little bit more relaxed. Feel free to bring your baller handbag and wear it proud. You don't have to worry about a huge clusterf*ck of people knocking into you or someone's hand making their way in your bag unnoticed. 


5. Drink your water. Champagne is ridiculously cheap by the bottle here and some of us like to take advantage of that (myself included). Moderate your intake by drinking water and keeping hydrated. You'll have more fun this way.


See you at the field!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlighted Words