Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

______________

Thursday, May 31, 2012

It's All About The Bag.


The first day shopping in New York City was a little cloudy with a chance of rain. I decided to wear my Salvatore Ferragamo knee-high black leather boots so I could be fashionable, water resistant, and walk the speed of light up and down 5th Avenue to Lexington.

By the end of the day, I could barely walk. As soon as we got to the room I headed straight to the tub and gave my feet a nice sparkly organic soak (courtesy of a Lush sparkle bath bomb I somehow had left in my suitcase before repacking).

After a little TLC I was ready to jump right into a pair of 5-inchers for dinner and nighttime play.

The next day it was pouring. I decided to wear my boots again because I wasn't about to walk around in sky-high booties and the Ferragamos were the only other option I had that were closed toe. So, I slipped those bitches on...and barely made it through the first few shops (we were covering SoHo this day) when I saw a man carrying an Ugg bag. He had an Abercrombie shirt on, faded Levi jeans, and ugly ugly kicks...you know the type.

No, I didn't merely go on my way. Instead, I bolted right up to him and asked him where the Ugg store was. He gave me directions and no sooner was I in the Ugg store, trying on a pair of furry flat Uggs...in brown...with my all black outfit. I was in heaven. I wore them out.

It was this precise moment when I solved the mystery behind the woman carrying a Birkin and wearing Nikes.

See, shoes here in California are so much more of a staple in our wardrobes. We wear Givenchy boots in the supermarkets, Louboutins in the office, and our favorite pair of Choos for cocktails. We wear uncomfortable heels all day long. If we change into another pair it's simply because our day time heels were too casual for night.

How are we able to do this? Because we don't walk!

You are walking everywhere in New York. Which explains why women are totally okay shopping in Bergdorfs on their lunch break wearing neon Nikes. Of course they switch into proper shoes when they're back into the office or going out to dinner, but I learned that walking around the city in running shoes is entirely acceptable when you have a fabulous accessory on your arm.

Obviously, it's all about the bag...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlighted Words